Tuesday, July 5, 2011

REFRESHING A TIRED TABLE ON THE PATIO

If you get enough of this . . . 
 . . . eventually you end up with this!   
There she is - off behind the shrubs . . . "weathering"!
This poor table sits outside all year round and that's a strain on anything in Wisconsin!  My husband and I made this table from 2 x 4's, pine planks, and some 4 x 4 lumber about 10 years ago.  I made the bench, cutting one side into scrolly scallops to make it a little more interesting.  It's all been painted several times and it was due for an overhaul.  First I sanded it down a bit to get the paint chips off.  The far left portion of the photo shows the condition it was in.  

Not good.   

Then, after I read that Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint could be used outdoors, I used my brand new can of Old White to paint the top of the table.  One coat was enough for most of it, while the areas of stubborn black got a second coat.  It dried almost instantly which is good because I am NOT a patient person!  Then, after enlarging an "ornamental doodad" I found on the Graphics Fairy here, I taped it together and traced it onto the table top.  I didn't want a huge, distracting design - just enough to break up the monotony of an all white table.  I painted the design in dark brown acrylic and then as soon as it was dry, I lightly sanded and applied Minwax dark finishing wax to the whole top. 

 The legs and bench got a coat of exterior brown latex (thank you Bobby)!   I think the wax is going to hold up beautifully.  We had dinner on the table last night and any water condensation on the glasses beaded right up!
DSCN4173.JPG



So, you could go from this . . .

to this . . .
in just a couple hours, with a little paint, and a great design from the Graphics Fairy.  It's a quick and easy way to get a patio face lift, and around here we need "quick" because the snow will be flying in no time!
HELLO SUMMER!



Linking to 
Furniture Feature Friday
on Miss Mustard Seed
and 
Primitive and Proper
and
TIME TRAVEL THURSDAY
AT THE BRAMBLEBERRY COTTAGE

11 comments:

Brenda Watts said...

LOVE this !! what a change..just wonderful. Enjoy the summer sitting by it.

Anne said...

looks wonderful! too good a table not to rehab...

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Wow, I think it looks great! Yep, those northern winters are as tough on furniture as the southern sun is!

Carol

fran said...

Beautiful! I love the "doo-dad" on the table. You chose great colors. I have to say, I'd rather be in the "after" weather than the "before" weather.
Great job on the table. I hope you get lots of use out of that this summer!
fran @ eleven-o-one

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

Wow Nan that is amazing! What a difference. I really like the addition of the graphic you found. Dresses it up nicely.

You had asked for a picture of my bandanna banner when I hung it outside so I thought I'd let you know that I posted one today. I was unable to email you back.
Have a great weekend!

Miss Char said...

This is a fantastic transformation. I live in the land of snow too and know how much damage it can do to outdoor furniture. I think your choice of graphics for the table and the new color is perfect to makeover your table. Thanks for sharing.

Tammy said...

Wow!!! What a difference, It looks lovely! I am your newest follower from Miss Mustard Seed's Furniture Friday. Hope you can visit me sometime soon @ http://homespunhappenings-tammy.blogspot.com/2011/07/time-gone-by.html

Cassie Bustamante said...

wow- that table was pretty rough before... you did a wonderful job of saving it and making it so pretty!

Amanda@RelovedRubbish said...

Nan, your table looks amazing! I love what you did. it is hard to believe that is the same table!

xoxo
Amanda

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

What a difference! It looks terrific now. I hope you keep us up-to-date on how the paint holds out in your harsh winters. ;)

Thanks for linking to Time Travel Thursday. Hope to have you join the fun often.

Blessings,
Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

Julia @ 551Eastdesign said...

Oh my gosh I hate the snow...I mean for Christmas it's ok but besides that we're not friends. That's why we're moving to Arizona! Love the table and sorry about bad weather:(

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...