Saturday, August 23, 2014

DAD'S "SUMMER GIFTS" TO MOM - A SPRAY OF ZINNIAS

I've spent the last couple days working on some watercolors of one of my favorite garden flowers - the old fashioned zinnia.  I have great memories of zinnia bouquets on display all over my childhood home.  My dad used to love to go out to the garden in the early evening and cut bundles of them.  Then he would proudly head into the kitchen, fill up a bunch of mom's old canning jars with water, and deposit the flowers inside of them for mom to use in arrangements.  Sometimes this would mean multiple trips between kitchen and garden.  I distinctly remember my mom standing there with jars full all around her as she watched dad head back out for a another load.  She gave me a look that meant - "Where am I going to put all of these flowers?"  But, along with the raised eyebrows, there was a smile hiding on her face. I knew that deep down she was touched by his interest in filling the house with the flowers she tended.

And now the tradition continues.  I fill my house with flowers from my own garden.  While I do love bouquets everywhere, I'm sure there's a part of me that is just imitating a favorite memory of my childhood.  Isn't that what we do sometimes so that we never, ever forget?

10 X 10"

3.5 x 3.5" 


These watercolors and more can be found in my Etsy shop here.

Thanks for looking!
-Nan

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...