Friday, November 19, 2010

Grain Sack Side Chair


This post is entered in Miss Mustard Seed's Copy Me Challenge.

Copy Me 
Challenge


  These grain sack covered chairs are everywhere.  Every decorating magazine and blog I come across has used the grain sacks in different and creative ways. Using them as upholstery material to cover a chair is one of my favorites.

        

Since I didn't have access to any authentic old grain sacks, I had to try to copy one.  
First, I saw this pretty needlepointed chair in a resale
shop for $45 - it has beautiful carving and lines.

I'm sure someone spent many hours doing
this painstaking work, but it was old and
very dirty.  It had seen its day. 

The details in the wood are beautiful.

But, it's time for a change . . .



                                                                      
Before . . .
and after!

With a little white paint, a stencil, and some natural linen to recover the seat and back, the chair has been revamped to look a little more up to date.  

Linked up with:

and

grabtt



(Someday, when I come upon a REAL grain sack, I'll redo the chair.
But for now, it's close enough to the real thing for me!)

10 comments:

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Love your inspiration piece nan! And great find to try it on. How's the process going? Can't wait to see the finished result!

Donna

foreverdecorating said...

Oh, I love the before so much this would have been hard for even me to do, however I adore the after. Great job.

Anonymous said...

What an amazing transformation from that less than chic chair to it's final result! I just love it! But then I would expect nothing less from you! You are amazing!!

Homeroad said...

I am amazed at how great your chair looks! I love the grain sack back to it and the white paint! Amazing!
I'm visiting from Primitive & Proper,
great to see your work!
Susan

Cassie Bustamante said...

that is BEAUTIFUL!!! you did an amzing job... i am uber-impressed!

willowcreek said...

Wow, this is amazing. I love it! Amazing what a lil paint and a grain sack can do. Great job.

Maureen said...

Oh wow! You did a fabulous job! It helps when you start with good bones.

Serendipity Chic Design said...

Gorgeous! The bones of the chair to begin with were phenomenal! I just covered a chair today with a drop cloth....

Take care,
Lisa

EMBELLISH said...

Oh my, very impressive.

Mel's Cabin said...

I picked up a burlap coffee bean sack at a local coffee shop, you might check your locals shops for another sack if you're still considering changing the seat cover. Your chair is very pretty. Mel

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...