Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Sanibel Stoop!

We are about to head to sandy beaches and warm sunshine . . . to the land of the Sanibel Stoop!  The forecast is for plenty of sun and an average temperature of 85 degrees!  When we return, Spring should be well underway in the northland.  Thank goodness!  It's been a very long winter around here.

Now, of course, I've been thinking about what I can make while we're there.  The most obvious project would be something made out of shells, so that's what I'm going to focus on.  I checked out Martha Stewart's website to get some ideas and here are some of the possibilities that could result.
First things first!  After collecting the shells, this is an easy way to get them disinfected and ready to use. Just place them in a basket to keep them from flying around, and run them through the dishwasher!

So pretty!

\
This would be beautiful in the guest room!  Although I'd be lucky to actually find one of these on the beach, I'm sure I could scout one out in the shell shops that are everywhere!

Mood Lighting
Thinking of summer nights on the patio, these Lion's Paw shells would be 
a pretty reminder of our time away from it all.

Shell Salt-and-Pepper Dishes
My "Birthday Group" would love these salt and pepper shell dishes!

Another pretty floral arrangement idea.

These would be fun to have on hand, or package 
     up in a pretty way as a gift for a friend!


BHGAug04_shell_in_glass_blue

A little sea glass would be fun to find too!



card accordian
And, to wrap it up, I love this way of preserving the memories!

Whatever I make, it will be a great reminder of a relaxing time away
 from it all, with my very best friend - my husband, Bob!  

"Why do we love the sea?  it is because it has some potent power to make us think things we like to think."  -Robert Henri

I love this quote and it's a great reminder that, for a few days I can concentrate on thinking things I like to think, whenever I want to think them!

2 comments:

Anne said...

What pretty images! My aunt used to live in Ft Meyers and would go to Sanibel,I'd love to visit there someday. Have a wonderful time!

Shannon @ DoveNest28 said...

I live in Estero, just south of Ft Myers, and spent a few days on Sanibel a few weeks ago for the 74th Annual Shell Show. My daughter came in second place in the 7-12th grade artistic division at the shell show and her friend came in first place. They have a shell crafters group that get together to make all kinds of things out of shells to sell. They welcome visitors to come see and will even pass on how to make things. Maybe I'll see you out on Sanibel, that would be cool!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...