Sunday, October 14, 2012

DOOR COUNTY LUMBAR PILLOW

Door County is one of our favorite spots to go in the summertime.  If you're not from Wisconsin or the Midwest, you may not be familiar with it.  It's a charming and quaint area filled with B&B's, restaurants, shops and cherry orchards.


We are especially fond of Door County because we spent our honeymoon there 23 years ago, and we continue to drive the 3 hours north every June to celebrate our day every year.  

I know a lot of people love this spot as much as we do.  So, I decided to make one of my "Name Your City/Burlap Lumbar Pillows" with the name of this great place on the front.  I went to the fabric store looking for a sturdy, colorful, and happy print - with one more qualification. 

It had to have cherries in the print!

So here's what I found.  I love it and I know I'll have to make one for myself as a reminder of our yearly trips to Door County.
The words "Door County" are printed with fabric ink, heat-set, then sewn onto a strip of the cherry print.  This lumbar pillow measures 12" x 16, which is a bit shorter than my Name-Your-City Lumbar Pillow.
 
The back of the pillow is made of the same cherry print and has an envelope closure.  I hand felted a Golden Rainier Cherry "button-ball" to hold the pillow casing closed.  I think that might be my favorite part of the pillow!  
The pillow looks pretty on the front AND the back!

So now I'm thinking, what other destinations have we enjoyed that I could print on a pillow like this? Fish Creek (in Door County)?  Sanibel Island?  McKinney?  The Whistling Swan (our honeymoon B&B)?  White Gull Inn (our new favorite)?  Suggestions?  I think the especially beautiful colors this fall have inspired me to sew more than ever!

Check out my new pillow at Gillyflower Cottage.



  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...